EXPANSYS USB Sync & Charge Cable for iPAQ h19/22/38/39/54 – サポートフォーラム

USB Sync 'n' Charge iPAQ3800 power surge [EXPANSYS USB Sync & Charge Cable for iPAQ h19/22/38/39/54 - 125937]

• philjt
  • 加入日: 4 7月 2003
When I plug the iPAQ onto this cable in my Dell Laptop running WindowsXP, I get a warning message telling me there is a power surge on the USB port and it will be shut down. USB then no longer works until I reset the machine. After resetting the same thing happens again. This occurs whether the laptop is powered or on batteries or if I use the on board USB port or one on the docking station.
  • Mahesh
  • 加入日: 14 4月 2003
  • 居住地: Liverpool, UK
This happens even if you use the cradle that comes with the iPaq ? I have the same cable in front of me and I've used it with Win XP Pro and Win 2K without any problems. -- Mahesh - eXpansys
  • philjt
No, it doesn't happen with the cradle....but then again the cradle does not charge the iPAQ from the USB, just sync it.
  • Mahesh
Ummm, probably because there isnt adequate power provided by the laptop to the laptop to the cable. When the cable tries to charge the iPaq the problem arises!! Can you let me know the model of your Dell laptop ? I will try and see if I can find the specs of the USB port. -- Mahesh - eXpansys
  • philjt
It's a Dell Latitude C400
  • philjt
Any update on this yet ? I am currently in the position where the Sync 'n' Charge cable I purchased from Expansys is completely useless to me.
  • mccorma
  • 加入日: 20 4月 2004
I have the same problem on a Dell C400 if I try to sync my Dell Axim PDA using only the sync & charge cable. If I use the docking station, which has the cradle attached, no problems. I believe it is just a problem of insufficient power on the USB port of the C400. I can sync the Axim using the cable only to a Dell Inspiron 2650 with no problems. I've upgraded the BIOS on the C400 to the latest version (A12 I believe) but this did not help. Anyone from Dell out there listening?
  • Mahesh
Yeah, looks like the USB port is not supplying enough power, best to contact Dell and see if they can provide you an upgrade. -- Mahesh - eXpansys
  • st.eve
  • 加入日: 5 5月 2004
Well… I have experienced the same problem and I think I have the answer (well PARTLY): you need a (fast) USB 2.0, not a (slow) USB 1.1 port. This solved my problem of sync'ing, BUT NOT CHARGING! I just took delivery of one of these cables and plugged it in between my iPaq 5550 and Toshiba Tecra 9000 laptop (Windows XP, SP1)… and suffered these symptoms: - at first I get the familiar sound of a new device being plugged in, - then a message "New hardware detected"… - and another message: "HP USB Sync"… - and then the sound of the hardware being unplugged, no error messages, but the USB port will no longer work with ANY other devices until I reboot Since reading this discussion thread, I had an idea: I know my laptop's USB ports are of the (slow, i.e. 12Mbps) USB 1.1 variety because I had to buy a USB 2.0 PCMCIA card to more effectively use an external USB 2.0 disk drive (backing up large volumes of data at 12Mbps is considerably more painful than at the 480Mbps speed of USB 2.0) So I plugged in the PCMCIA card and now I successfully connect and sync with the sync-n-charge cable. BUT the CHARGING side is NOT working (well, I haven't really left it for very long yet, but the charge indicator reading has been dropping and NOT climbing). My USB charging setting on the iPaq was: USB Charging option –> "Fast Charge" I changed it to "Slow Charge", did a soft reboot, reconnected the cable to the USB 2 port (ActiveSync connected again and is happy), but once again the charge level reading is slowly decreasing. In both cases the amber / orange LED is flashing indicating "charging"!?! So is there anyone out there who IS successfully using their cable to "Sync-N-Charge" and can offer some other ideas?
  • Mahesh
I have used it many time for Sync and charging and have not had any issues with it. Let me take one out of stock and try it. Will get back to you tomorrow AM. -- Mahesh - eXpansys
I have the same problem using an iPAQ H5550 on guess what machine - a Dell Latitude C400. I think there is a pattern here.
It could be that your laptops don't have enough power to charge the unit via the Powered Bus, which is what the charger uses to charge your unit. Powered bus is really for low power items, so the iPaq might just be to powerful for it. But when your using a PC the power bus more than likely has more power than a laptop on. It could also be to do with power managment on your laptop. Have you also checked the power management options in the bios on your laptop?
;