Freecom 500GB Network Drive 3.5" LAN/USB 2.0 – サポートフォーラム

Network Problems [Freecom 500GB Network Drive 3.5" LAN/USB 2.0 - 151103]

• WRH
  • 加入日: 13 3月 2009

I have a PC running XP and a laptop running Vista.  I connect to the internet via a Netgear DG834GT Router with the PC directly connected via an ethernet cable and the laptop connects via wifi.  All good so far!  However, I have tried to put the 2 computers into a home network and, although they can "see" each other, when I try to access the laptop from the PC it cannot find the network path and when I try to access the PC from the laptop it says that the PC's name is not spelt properly!!?  I run Norton 360 on both and in the Network Security Map on both computers each can see the other ans are designated "full trust".  In the router set-up, as far as I can tell, all the IP addresses and physical addresse are correct but I can't seem to get any further.  Any advice on how to make these two actually "talk" to each other would be most gratefully received!!

Regards   WRH

Have either of the machines got any shared folders on them?

Pete (I need JD) Graham ************** Damn you! Use forum search!!.

• WRH
On the PC, I have ticked the 2 boxes in the Sharing tab (network sharing and security) of the properties box of the folders I want to share and on the lap top, file sharing is on in the Network and Sharing Centre, if that is what you mean.....

Where does the bastard that is Vista think you are as far as network locations is concerned?  Network and sharing center should tell you - public network?  Private network?

• WRH
It is set to "Private Network".  This seemed the most appropriate choice given the stated definitions under "customize".  On the PC, the network was set up using the network wizard and appears in Explorer as a Microsoft Windows Network under Entire Network in My Network Places

Ok that should be fine.  From your vista machine, if you were to bring up a run box (Windows key + R) and type in

\\yourdesktopcomputername\asharedfolder

Replacing your desktop's network name after the double \\ and your shared folder's share name (any of the shares set up on your desktop, it's just a test) after the single \, then press OK, what does it do?

• WRH
It comes up with a window with the message: "The network location cannot be reached. For information about network troubleshooting, see Windows Help."  I have not found Help to be particularly helpful!!
;