Freecom 500GB Network Drive 3.5" LAN/USB 2.0 – サポートフォーラム

How to Connect the Freecom Network Drive to Netgear Router? [Freecom 500GB Network Drive 3.5" LAN/USB 2.0 - 151103]

• WRH
  • 加入日: 13 3月 2009
My home system comprises a PC running on XP connected by ethernet to a Netgear wireless modem/router and a laptop running Vista which connects to the internet via the wireless router.  Although the 2 computers can "see" each other, I have had no success in making them "talk" to each other and share files.  I would therefore like to have a common hard drive with all the files on it which both computers can access.  Is this Freecom Network Drive the thing I am looking for and, if so, how does it connect to the router, which only has ehternet sockets on it?

This is a great way to share files over a network and mean you only have to have 1 copy of each file, thus saving space.  The device would connect to your wireless modem/router by way of one of the free ethernet ports on the back of it.  Or you could connect via USB to load up the files on to the drive, which would be quicker initially, then place the drive on the network.

Then, either by way of shares or managed shares through Freecom's software, you would see the device as a new drive or several drives - depending on how you set it up - on your My Computer page.

Very easy and very practical.

EDIT: If you have a playstation 3 and are looking to share media files from this drive to it, then it will not work for that as the drive does not support the DLNA protocol.  However for sharing just between your desktop and laptop, you will be fine.

Pete (I need JD) Graham ************** Damn you! Use forum search!!.

• WRH
Thanks for the prompt response!  Not sure I understand what you meant by the bit at the bottom about "use of forum search" as this is my first time on this forum?
  • WRH
A quick supplementary question: will it work with my laptop running on Vista?  There is no mention of that in the system requirments.

Hehe, don't worry - it's a signature on most of my other posts.  Welcome to the forums by the way, it's nice to see new members.

If you have any further questions please don't be afraid to ask.

According to Freecom's Datasheet, it works fine on Vista.  In theory, it's a network drive so will just be seen as another hard drive - there should be no compatibility problems.  If it helps, I am using an Iomega one which states min specs are XP/2000 and I use it with Vista and Windows 7 Beta.

• WRH

Thanks very much for the advice - very useful!!

Regards, WRH

We do our best :)

;