D-Link DSL-604+ Wireless ADSL Router – サポートフォーラム

Blocking MSN at the 604+ router [D-Link DSL-604+ Wireless ADSL Router - 104294]

• NormanB
  • 加入日: 21 4月 2003
I give in no reasonable measures can control/limit the time my daughter spends on MSN chatting to God knows who. I want to block it at the router if possible can anyone tell me how to do that? This way I could open the door and close it as required from my machine rather thn configuring her firewall to block port whatever. Thanks NormanB
  • rperkin
  • 加入日: 12 8月 2003
  • 居住地(例:Japan, Tokyo): UK
You could try this, including the Registry hack near the end. How knowledgeable is your daughter? It should also be pretty easy to edit the hosts file on 'her' machine to point the domain names related to MSN Messenger to 127.0.0.1 or to an unused IP address on your network. The likely names are messenger.hotmail.com and webmessenger.msn.com. You could also try blocking access to network addresses 207.46.104.0 and 207.46.110.0 via the router. However, the firewall config option (which is just a static IP address filter) on the DSL-604+ doesn't always make things easy... Me? I've almost given up. My teenage sons are really young men now, and and are somewhat independent. However, their Internet use can be somewhat silly and I (sometimes) use the router to simply deny their PCs any access to the outside world. That causes some aggro when one is half-way through a long on-line game as you can imagine. The technique is documented here and in the associated thread (follow the link) which describes the rules. What I have is a couple of icons on the desktop which have the effect of blocking or allowing Internet access to any other PC. So simple even my wife can use it ;) Hope this helps
  • Mahesh
  • 加入日: 14 4月 2003
  • 居住地(例:Japan, Tokyo): Liverpool, UK
Hi Norman, Richard. long time no hear! This has a very very sligth relevance to your posts, but it's Friday afternoon and Bank Holiday weekend. I had a similar problem, though it's not a little girl. It as an old gentlemean from whom I got me sirname. The old coot when he came and stayed with me and browsed clicked on every single b*****d dodgy link, pop ups, you name it. He doesn't understand the way the 'net works, but that was no reason for him to waste me custom built PC. And how many times can you say to him "That link will not show you Anna Kornikova in the nak .. honest. Trust me on this one"? :-) The PC was trashed, so when I was not on home, I only allowed him on dial-up. He got majorly annoyed with the speed and ended up using it for only emailing during the day! Trust me, it's just not the young'uns that can be a bother :-) -- Mahesh Help get a billion views!
  • NormanB
Hi Richard - thanks for that - I will inwardly digest and then act. I cannot give up on my daughter - she is only 11 and it is worthwhile putting boundaries up at this age. She also has to know - that I know (if you know what I mean) and am not powerless in this situation - if that makes sense and she is not overly savvy about the technology (yet). BestRegards
  • NormanB
Hi Mahesh Yes indeed long time no hear! Hope all well with you. I do not post often but I visit fairly regular (monthly). There is so much to do these days and so little time. When I have time - I am out on the motorbike!! Regards NormanB
;