D-Link DSL-504 Ethernet Router – サポートフォーラム

Using a DSL-504 from the UK in Australia [D-Link DSL-504 Ethernet Router - 105317]

• sdavey
  • 加入日: 28 9月 2004
Hi, I really hope you can answer this question, because D-Link Australia and D-Link in the UK can't. I recently emigrated from the UK to Australia and brought with me my D-Link DSL-504 (Generation 2). I had used it for over a year in the UK and it worked well. I just signed up with an ISP here in Australia and I found that the DSL-504 almost works with the ISP. The ISP has checked my line and apparently it's fine. It does look like the ADSL router might be the problem. I can't transmit data. I can get an IP address, it can recognise the DNS servers. However from my computer I can't PING anything on the internet by name or IP address. By name it says "Unable to resolve name". By IP, it says "Destination host unreachable". I've checked the parameters carefully (such as VPI, VCI, Encapsulation & Authentication), sending screenshots to the ISP to confirm. The reason I'm asking you is that I did a Google search for "+DSL +504 +UK +Australia" and found your page. If I understand your page correctly, it seems you used to sell DSL-504's from the UK in Australia. Did you ever have any problems doing that ? Did you have to switch the firmware over from UK to Australian firmware ? My DSL-504 currently has a UK firmware, version R2.21.002.06.b2t18uk. I tried to use the Australian Firmware upgrade but the utility said "Cannot update from R2.21.002.06.b2t18uk to R2.21.002.05.b13au". This might be because the version is slightly lower, or it might be because the country is different. Unfortunately, R2.21.002.05.b13au is the most recent Australian firmware I can find. I am thinking of using the console connection with HyperTerminal to completely wipe the NVram then install the Australian Firmware, but I can't find my serial cable (it's in a box of stuff somewhere shipped from the UK). I could buy or borrow one. Any thoughts you have on this would be most appreciated. I'd be especially interested to know if you did sell UK DSL-504's in Australia and if you needed to do anything special to make them work. Many thanks in advance for anything you can suggest. Spencer Davey.
  • rperkin
  • 加入日: 12 8月 2003
  • 居住地(例:Japan, Tokyo): UK
"if you did sell UK DSL-504's in Australia" I can't answer on behalf of eXpansys - someone will do doubt be along in a moment... "if you needed to do anything special to make them work" To the best of my knowledge, no. UK models *will* work in Aus, and vice versa. "the most recent Australian firmware I can find" Yes - b13au is the current AU release for the Gen II dated 19-Aug-03 "I am thinking of using the console connection" This is possible if you have the necessary .bin file. However, such things are not for the faint hearted! I'm not an expert on the DSL-504 so the best advice I can give is to speak to someone who is. And he happens to be in Aus. The key resource for all things to do with the DSL-504 is Trev Roydhouse's site which you can find here. If you email him (the link is on the site) I'm sure he will be happy to assist :) Hope this helps
  • sdavey
  • 加入日: 28 9月 2004
Hello, many thanks to rperkin for his reply. Well, I decided to take the plunge last night anyway, since the router wasn't working. The result was a complete success ! I bought a 9 pin straight through M to F serial cable from Dick Smith electrical and started the procedure. It took about 2 hours in total as I had to wipe the NVram completely using the terminal command line, then transfer the .bin file, then save the config and finally re-configure all the parameters and my subnet IP information. Now it could be that switching firmware has had some subtle effect on a setting that was already available through the GUI previously and I just havt seen it, but all the parameters seem to be the same to me. The GUI looks a little different and the parameter defaults all changed. But if anyone else ever moves from the UK to here bringing a DSL-504 with them, Id be really interested to know if they have the same problem. Also, I noticed the firmware is different for Australia and New Zealand. I would imagine some people have made that migration with a DSL-504 before. Anyone had any similar problems there ? Thanks again. Cheers. Spencer.
;