Belkin 15m Cat5e UTP Patch Cable – サポートフォーラム

Patch cable or crossover cable? [Belkin 15m Cat5e UTP Patch Cable - 107285]

If I want to hook two computers together for gaming do I want a patch cable or crossover cable?
  • Michael
  • 加入日: 15 4月 2003
  • 居住地(例:Japan, Tokyo): Manchester UK
When youre trying to network two similar devices, such as two PCs or two hubs or two switches, you need to use a crossover cable to connect them. The only exception to this would be if one of the products (like a hub or switch) has what's called an uplink port, or an auto-sensing port, on it. In that scenario, a standard Ethernet cable would work fine. Crossover cables dont look much different from normal (also known as straight-through) Ethernet cables, but theyre wired differently so that the transmit pin on one end of the cable matches the receive pin on the other. Incidentally, you can tell a crossover cable from a straight-through by holding the two connectors side by side with the tabs facing down. Look at the colors of the individual wires inside the connectors. If they dont match, its not a straight-through. That being said, you basically have two choices available to you for networking your computers. You can connect the two via a crossover cable, or you can use a hub and connect each computer to it with straight-through cables. -- Michael - eXpansys
  • hjk
  • 加入日: 28 3月 2005
What is the maximum length of a utp cable from a external adsl router to a computer without using a hub. And do you get different quality cables.
  • zillah
  • 加入日: 1 10月 2005
  • 居住地(例:Japan, Tokyo): Any where
((When youre trying to network two similar devices, such as two PCs or two hubs or two switches, you need to use a crossover cable to connect them.)) I used to believe that to connect two PCs we have to use crossover cable (since they are similar devices). http://www.aptcommunications.com/ncode.htm Today 9-05-2006 I figured out that the straight through cable is working as well. Any clarification about this ? I assigned ip address of type 192.168.5.1/24 and 192.168.5.5/24. And I tried also ip 200.211.100.30/24 and 200.211.100.31/24
;